Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's funny what a smile can do

Growing up, I've always been a typical shy, introverted, socially awkward geek that only wanted to play video games or with a computer.

Whenever I pass by someone, I would immediately look away or towards the floor.  My mind would be racing with thoughts of things like "what does that person think of me?", "do I have something on my face?", "oh man, shes pretty. I better not look like a creeper and stare at her. Wait, am I staring now? Oh no."

I never did know what to think. Consequently, my body language always came off as weird and with low confidence. It wasn't until, maybe 2 years ago that I learned to smile.

Yes. Smile.

Honestly, it felt super weird, at first, to smile and nod at a complete stranger as you walked pass them.  I tried my best to not think and just smile. Overtime I kept practicing this small gesture and got use to it.

It's weird, but overtime I learned to smile bigger and even say small things like "Good morning," "Hello," and "Hi" to strangers.  It made me feel good inside whenever that person would smile back. Especially when I can tell that person is having a bad day, but finds the strength to genuinely smile back.

It's funny what a smile can do. It can brighten someone's day a little or a lot and also make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment